The Editor-in-Chief is the lead editor and ultimately responsible (usually by a contractual arrangement) for the academic content of the journal. The EiC is expected to participate in defining and adjusting the journal’s evolving mission and to understand and adapt to the changing needs of the readership as a contributing member of the Editorial Board. The EiC is also in the optimal position to have broad oversight of the review process.
The primary responsibilities of the Editor-in-Chief usually include:
- Strategic and practical development of the journal;
- Maintaining high-quality editorial standards;
- Providing strong and inspiring leadership to the journal’s Editorial Board, including appointing new members as required;
- Journal promotion.
Involving the Editorial Board
The Editor-in-Chief is responsible for involving with the Editorial board after its existence. A good editorial board should be appreciated and feel they have ownership over the journal. They should feel a sense of community between them but this isn’t easy due to geographic and time zone differences, however, these steps can help:
- Produce an editor’s digest to let board members know about new journal developments;
- Create an online podium for discussion about best practices and future improvements;
- Arrangement of an annual board meeting in order to run a successful editorial board meeting;
- Meet and discuss the journal at conferences that board members are attending.
Promoting the Journal
The EiC is a representative for the journal. Each EiC is asked to increase the journal’s reputation, such as attending conferences, to develop informational materials for outreach purposes. EiCs can also suggest conferences to the publications team which they think would benefit.
MESFORD Publisher Inc is a premier global publisher of science, technology and medical resources. We offer unique, trusted content by expert authors, spreading knowledge and promoting discovery worldwide. We aim to broaden thinking and advance understanding in the sciences, providing researchers, academics, professionals, and students with the tools they need to share ideas and realize their potential